MATHS HUB - CALCULATE, DON'T COUNT
Led by Katie Crozier and Claire Gerrard
This course is open to Teachers and NQT/NQT+1
"Calculate, Don't Count!" Work Group is suitable for class teachers who want to develop their practice regarding the teaching of calculation and procedural variation, and Maths Subject Leaders of schools who want to develop their mastery practice.
This work group will increase teachers’ knowledge and understanding of mathematical structures relating to the four operations.
Participants will explore the use of models and representations, including the part whole model, bar models and tens frames.
Participants will also develop their understanding of the use of procedural variation/ intelligent practice to support children’s learning by making small connected steps.
SPRING TERM DATES
for NQTs/NQTs + 1 and Teachers
Session 1 - Wednesday 15th January 2020
Session 2 - Wednesday 12th February 2020
Session 3 - Wednesday 11th March 2020
TIME: 1.30 pm > 3.30 pm
VENUE: Hampton Hargate Primary School, Hargate Way, Hampton Hargate, Peterborough. PE7 8BZ
ABOUT MATHS HUB CAMBRIDGE
Cambridge Maths hub supports teachers in the continual process of improving educational standards for students in our region from the youngest child in Early Years Foundation Stage to the oldest students in Post 16.
- Their aims are to support the learning of mathematics by assisting schools and teachers in:
- improving maths achievement at all levels
- improving participation rates in mathematics at all levels improving students’ problem solving ability
- developing students’ fluency hand in hand with conceptual understanding
- improving the recruitment and retention of maths specialist teachers in the area
The Cambridge Maths Hub seeks to do this primarily through Work Groups. These are led by teachers and other professionals who share our aims.