Effective Assessment for Learning: A Course for NQTs in KS1 & KS2
Delivered by Andy Hawes of Peterborough Learning & Teaching Associates (PLTA)
To enhance NQTs’ understanding of key aspects of Assessment for Learning
- Develop their understanding of the importance of learning objectives and success-criteria, exploring a range of strategies for using them effectively in the classroom;
- Understand the importance of, and strategies for, effective questioning;
- Explore collaborative learning strategies and ways to use talk within learning.
This multi-session CPD package will support NQTs in developing their understanding of some of the key aspects of Assessment for Learning (AfL). Based around the pioneering work of experts in the field such as Dylan Wiliam, Shirley Clarke, Royce Sadler and Claire Gadsby, these 0.5 day sessions will provide NQTs with a range of practical classroom strategies that they can begin to use immediately as well as enhanced understanding of how and why these strategies work within the wider AfL context.
Session 1: Providing a Benchmark for Learning
- Learning objectives – why we need them;
- Open and closed objectives;
- Securing effective learning by avoiding ‘muddled’ objectives;
- Articulating learning objectives;
- Identifying effective success-criteria;
- Process vs product criteria;
- Strategies for co-constructing success-criteria with pupils.
Session 2: Strategies for Developing Questioning & Classroom Talk
- Rationale for effective questioning;
- Open and closed questions – Bloom’s Revised Taxonomy in action;
- Types of talk in the classroom;
- Involving all pupils in learning – going beyond ‘hands-up’ in class;
- Alternatives to questions to extend and develop learning.
- An opportunity for delegates to bring examples of work they have undertaken following sessions 1 & 2 in order to share and discuss impact on learning;
- An opportunity to ask further questions to clarify points or address misconceptions or issues that have arisen in class.
DATES & TIMES
Session 1: 4th October 2018 > 1.15pm - 4.30pm
Session 2: 18th October 2018 > 1.15pm - 4.30pm
Twilight: 1st November 2018 > 4.00pm - 5.30pm
£145.00 per person for all 3 sessions - only £49.00 per session
Hampton Hargate Primary School, Hampton Way, Hampton Hargate, Peterborough.
Please click on the document below if you would like a downloadable flyer.